Year 2 page
Read Write Inc. guide for parents
Summer Term Week 5
There are 2 religious events happening this week so there are 2 reading comprehensions linked to those. You can choose 1 or both to do.
- Eid-el-fitre (celebrated by Muslims)
Click here to view the Eid Reading comprehension - easier
Click here to view the Eid Reading comprehension - harder
- Ascension Day (celebrated by Christians)
Click here to view the Ascension day text
Click here to view the Ascension day questions
- Keep a diary of what you have been doing and how you have felt for the week. You could make a booklet by folding A4 paper in half and draw some pictures to go with your diary entry.
Maths – Reasoning
Maths – Arithmetic
- Try out 5 new foods and fill in a science taste chart.
Click here to view the Science - taste chart
Hello Year 2!
We hope that you are all happy and safe. Here are direct links to the websites that we have included in you next pack. There are also some extra ones in for you to look at.
https://www.thenational.academy/online-classroom/year-2#subjects – online classroom created by the government
https://ttrockstars.com - master your times tables!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/primary - easy to use! plus games!
https://www.topmarks.co.uk - great for playing with an adult
https://www.purplemash.com/sch/lawefield-wf1 - Purple Mash
https://app.bigmaths.com/login - Big Maths (school pin – 0128)
https://kids.classroomsecrets.co.uk/ - Classroom secrets
https://www.educationquizzes.com/ks1/ - KS1 quizzes in all subjects
Click the links below to see a few other activities for you to have a go at.
Click here to view an activity about multiplication
Click here to view an activity about rhyming words
Click here to view an activity about spelling
Click here to view an activity about time
Stay safe and keep washing those hands!
Mrs Appleton & Mrs Taylor
Week commencing 20th April
Hello Year 2! We hope you have had a lovely Easter, and managed to get outside a little bit for some fresh air and exercise. We hope that you are managing to get some work done at home, it is really important to still be doing bits of learning so that when school opens again you haven’t forgotten everything!
Here are some activities for this week:
- Remember to practise your times tables every day. You need to know your 2x, 5x and 10x tables as well as the associated division facts. For example, if you know 2 x 6 = 12 and 6 x 2 = 12 then you also know that 12 ÷ 6 = 2 and 12 ÷ 2 = 6.
Use this website to help you with your 2x table
Use this website to help you with your 5x table
Use this website to help you with your 10x table
- There are lots of maths games you can play on the Topmarks website too - click here to see
- We will continue to put extra activities on Purple Mash for you to complete each week.
Your username and password were in the first pack we sent out.
Oak National Academy
- The government have released a new online learning website where you can access daily lessons. We would like you to work through the lessons provided for Week 1 on the website if you can - click here to see the lessons
- We would also love you to have a go at writing some descriptive sentences. We don’t want you to lose all your skills in writing so it is important you continue to practise. The BBC have provided free lessons online you can access. Have a go at these lessons this week where you can practise your descriptive writing - click here to see the lessons
NATIONAL LITERACY TRUST
As a response to school closures, National Literacy Trust have developed a comprehensive web portal for parents, to support you during this time. Over the next days, weeks and months they will be updating this as often as they can with new and useful content for parents.
Split up by age group below, you will find ideas and guidance for simple activities that will engage your children at home, while also benefiting their reading, writing and language development.
You'll be able to access free reading and writing resources, audiobooks, videos, competitions and reading challenges. Every resource is available for free, although to access some you may need to create a free account.
Hello Year 2!
Our current topic Is Paddington but we have also been looking at habitats and different animals. Here are the links to some amazing virtual tours of zoos around the world. You can look around the zoos and there are live cameras in enclosures. How exciting is that?
Panda cam: https://zooatlanta.org/panda-cam/
San Diego Zoo cams: https://kids.sandiegozoo.org/videos
Nation Aquarium virtual tour: https://aqua.org/media/virtualtours/baltimore/index.html
We have tasked the children with some work on Purple Mash – passwords were in the packs sent home. There is a mixture of maths, SPAG, ICT work and games on there for you to access.
Here are the links to some test-base mental maths questions. At the bottom of this document there are the methods we use which will help you support your child following the school’s policy and how they have already been taught. Please do not teach them other methods as it will confuse them. Use the numbers at the side to go through the questions.
Here are the links to a Reading paper. If you have a printer, then you can print these out. If not then children can write their answers on any scrap paper. Please let the children read the text themselves, but help with explaining the meanings of words they are unsure of.
Reading comprehension 1
SPAG paper (spelling, grammar and punctuation)
SPAG 1 https://hucobol.exampro.net/
There are daily exercise videos aimed at children posted by Joe Wicks on YouTube at 9am
If your child still does RWI phonics there are daily phonics lessons on YouTube. They are getting uploaded at 9.30/10/10.30 but can be watched any time.
Here’s the link to some Maths games. Some are too easy, but as you scroll down there are some games appropriate for Year 2.
Joe Wicks ("The Body Coach") will be posting a PE video on YouTube - Monday to Friday at 9am.
Please click the link below to view the child and family workouts, starting from Monday.